Thursday, November 27, 2008

My Girlfriend, and My Go

Girlfriend and Go ...

I am sure that more than once there has been tension between our Go and Our significant others.

I have been with my girlfriend for almost three years, I love her.

I have been playing Go for just under 5 years, I love Go.

It is very strange, but many Go Players will agree with me, sometimes, when it comes to Go, it is hard to get your priorities straight.

Several times, we have almost broken up over it. Several times I have tried to show her why I play, but she does not get it.

It is rather strange to explain to people that do not play that I am going to Korea for six months, not to travel, not to study abroad, but to play Go.

She does not get it either, but she tries her best to pretend to support me. She hates that I play sometimes, but she always wishes me well for tournaments. She hates that I would sometimes rather play than spend time with her, but she puts up with it.

I am sorry my love (My girlfriend, not Go) for all the trouble my mistress Baduk has put you through, thank you for putting up with my playing, thank you for staying with me when I will leave for 6 months. Thank you Sunny.

I will not give up playing for you, but know that you are more important to me do not doubt that.

To everybody else, sorry for the sappy post, but I think that some of you can relate to it. If you have any stories to share, E-mail me @ boris.nygocenter@gmail.com I will likely be writing a follow up blog about the effects of Go on peoples relationships.


Here is a little Comic relief to those poor Go widows and Widowers, I am sure you have thought about it more than once:


From Random Funny

4 comments:

Hicham Vanborm said...

I can so understand your situation. I play a lot. Nowadays more poker then go, but the basic idea is the same. I love playing. More then my girlfriend? Hard to say... Same as you I will not give up my hobbies for her. If it is not go, then it is poker or Magic or computergame or reading SF. I need these things were I can completely lose myself in.

So you are not alone!

Anonymous said...

No matter what it feels like at times, the simple truth is girlfriends come and go. You will still have Go in 50 years.

Remember that and good luck in Korea.

Dontlookforme said...

seth, i have to disagree with that comment. Its quite a cruel way of looking at it, i feel sorry for your girlfriend. I think whats important is showing the person u care about that this game is an important part of your life and part of your character, she has to understand that this is also you and even if she doesnt love it she needs to be supportive, but looking at it in the sense that she will come and go and go will always be here is wrong, because even if your girlfriends comes and goes, the memories will still be there 50 years from now. Boris, u just need to find a balance

Unknown said...

In representation of those girlfriend/significant other, my husband recently started playing Go (after 6 years of being together). At the beginning I thought it would be something similar to his interest of playing video game, Sudoku, Kakuro, and other puzzle games. He usually spends sometime enjoying those and that usually never bothers me. However, with Go, he spends SO MUCH time learning and playing that it does affects me. Similarly to your girlfriend I TRY to support him, encourage him, and also remind him of his priorities. I agree with Rostislav, it just a matter of explaining your significant other why you play and what does it mean to you.